You are here
Online Molecular Biology (Master's)
The 30 credit Master’s Degree Program in Molecular Biology is a highly focused, research-oriented online program designed specifically for part-time students who have an interest in the biotechnology industry. This online degree program is ideally suited for individuals seeking biomedical research careers in academia, industry, and government.
New students will apply for admission through the Biological Sciences Department.
- Bachelor's degree in a life science or chemistry (typically Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology)
- GPA: 3.0 or higher
- The GRE is not required
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcript(s) of previous educational experience
Undergrad Course Requirements
- 2 semesters: General Chemistry
- 2 semesters: Organic Chemistry
- 2 semesters: Physics
- 1 semester: Intro to Genetics
- 1 semester: Intro to Cell & Molecular Biology
- 2 semesters: Math courses
Please note: Students admitted must complete 9 consecutive credit hours of coursework of 300-level or higher, with no grade lower than a B-, in order to continue taking courses.
With the approval of the Department Graduate Committee and the Lehigh University Registrar, a maximum of six credits of molecular biology–relevant courses may be transferred in toward completion of the master's degree. A course grade of B or better is required for transfer credits.
Depending on the student’s undergraduate education, core courses in cellular and molecular biology are first taken, followed by advanced seminar style courses, including departmental research, and journal articles that are read and discussed.
|BIOS 345 Molecular Genetics (3)||BIOS 411 Advanced Cell Biology (3)|
|BIOS 371 Elements of Biochemistry I (3)||BIOS 421 Molecular Cell Biology I** (3)|
|BIOS 372 Elements of Biochemistry II (3)||BIOS 422 Molecular Cell Biology II** (3)|
|BIOS 407 Research (6 credits required)||BIOS 427 Techniques in Cell and Molecular Biology* (3)|
* This course may be completed by arrangement at Lehigh or at the distance site in consultation with a staff research advisor and Lehigh faculty. However, this course may not be required (and another one may be substituted in its place) if the student has demonstrated proficiency in molecular biology and biochemical techniques. In this case, a description of research or technical experience in the field should be summarized and submitted with the student’s admission application.
** These courses require live participation through our Classroom LIVE platform.
A non-thesis research option is available upon approval by student’s departmental committee.
Elective courses offered through the student’s program will include various specialization courses such as:
|BIOS 327 Development and Disease (3)||BIOS 464 Molecular Biology of Eukaryotic Organisms (3)|
|BIOS 328 Immunology (3)||BIOS 466 Structure and Function of RNAs and Ribonucleoprotein Complexes (3)|
|BIOS 376 Developmental Biology (3)||BIOS 471 Eukaryotic Signal Transduction (3)|
|BIOS 442 Cellular Basis of Human Disease (3)|
This elective list is preliminary and is shown for information only. There is no relationship to the order in which they appear above and when they will be scheduled. Other elective courses in Biological Sciences may be available in some semesters.
Please note: Elective courses in other departments may be appropriate for the M.S. degree but require the approval of the Molecular Biology program.